Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Camaro redux

Nostalgic column in the WSJ about the return of GM's Camaro. The writer has been fond of Camaro since it cam out in '67. He opines that GM would be in better shape if it had a few cars like Camaro that drivers actually like. I can relate to this. I liked Camaro from way back. It offered as much pizzazz as Corvette for half the price. There came a time in my life when I could afford a Camaro just to drive to work.
Then came a ski weekend. I invited Gigi and her boyfriend to come up to Cannon. Over the phone I heard "Oh I dunno. It's gonna snow this weekend and JD's car isn't too good in snow." I reassured her that the roads would be plowed and the forecasted snow would make the ski conditions especially good. I must have been persuasive and Friday night GiGi and JD and JD's big black Camaro showed up at Mittersill. It got stuck backing into my driveway. Saturday it got stuck entering the Peabody Slopes parking lot. That night it couldn't make the grade on Lehan Road going into mother's place. Even when we popped the rear deck and had two of us sit on the rear bumper to put more weight on the drive wheels. We parked it at the bottom of the hill and walked the rest of the way.
That kinda burst my Camaro bubble. After that demo of totally unroadworthiness in winter, I knew if I ever took a Camaro on a ski weekend I'd never hear the end of it from the rest of the family. It would take years to live down. So. No Camaro.
Too bad. It's still a nice car in good weather. I stuck with front wheel drive minivans and sedans which can pull themselves up three mile hill in an ice storm. And GM still needs some decent cars. I'm currently driving one of the last ones they ever made, a '99 Caddy DeVille. God knows what I'll buy when the Caddy finally wears out. Certainly nothing in today's GM lineup is attractive.

No comments: