Monday, May 31, 2010

A little bit of American Exceptionalism

Was reading John Keegan's book The Second World War. Keegan states that the only place where Japanese conquerors encountered resistance was in the Phillipines. The Americans had established some rapport with the Filipinos before the war. After the 1941 Japanese invasion the Filipinos remained loyal to the Americans in ways that French, Dutch, and British colonies did not. A US submarine bringing supplies to the Filipino resistance was pleasantly surprised to find a solid town dock, all the lights in town blazing, a native band playing on the dock ,and pretty dancing girls, all to welcome the submarine ashore.
Seems like the Americans did things right that other colonial powers neglected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this take a lot of work?
I have absolutely no knowledge of programming but I was hoping to start my
own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off topic nevertheless I simply had to ask.
Kudos!

my website - Lifestyle Liberation Blueprint Review

Dstarr said...

It's been awhile, but better late than never. In answer to your question, the hardest part of running this blog is thinking up new things to post. I try not to post too many political rants, 'cause most people find them dull. I'll post about books and movies, interesting things from Aviation Week, the Economist, or the Wall St Journal. Blogspot does all the grunt work, all I have to do is type my posts. No programming knowledge required. I try to post something every day, just to let the world know I am still alive.