Sunday, March 4, 2012

Train Show

In Essex Junction VT. It's only 80 miles as the crow flies, but it's cross country east-west, on two lane roads. The mountains all run north-south, so there is a lot of climbing up and down and it takes two hours. It snowed over night, so the roads were slippery enough to keep me doing no more than the speed limit (50 mph). I go faster when it's dry.
It was a big show, held in a county fairgrounds site. Lots of people. Aisles were jammed. They had a fine big G scale layout running, and some equally fine HO and Lionel layouts. I picked up a bright jade green NYC box car, and four head end cars (baggage and mail). Also, a beautiful Ford woody station wagon. And some tank car decals. After I got home, I discovered that two of the head end cars actually had the prized and long-out-of-production Central Valley trucks.
My feet gave out after three hours, and I had done all the vendors tables twice. So I drove into next door Burlington VT just for sight seeing. Oh boy. Talk about a college town. It gives Harvard Sq a run for it's money in terms of groovy taverns, trendy clothing stores, co-op food stores, and head shops.
Then I drove back, the southern way. The northern way is US route 2. The southern way is US 302. The southern way is a sportier drive, if you are into wrapping the car around curves, take the southern route. Both ways take 2 hours.

No comments: