Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Economist doesn't like Romney much

Just finished this week's Economist.  They have a couple of full page articles on Romney where they explain how he has flip flopped on issues, failed to express himself clearly, and is having trouble collecting the conservative Republicans.  Then they do an electoral vote projection with a map.   Their projections are based on polls, or the Real Clear Politics average of polls.  And they call states for Obama or for Romney with a lead in the polls of only a couple of percent.  To me, a couple of percent in August polls really means "too close to call".   And, I think the Gallup and Rasmussen polls by them selves are better than the Real Clear Politics average of all the polls. 
  At least they call New Hampshire "dead even", whereas other pundits think we are "strongly Obama".

3 comments:

DCE said...

Hmm, I find that interesting the NH is a dead-heat. Mind you, I only have anecdotal evidence that it isn't and is leaning heavily towards Romney: campaign signs.

I noticed just the other day that I haven't seen any Obama signs anywhere I've traveled in the Granite State over the past couple of weeks. Not one. Keeping in mind that I've been mostly in the Lakes Region and White Mountain areas, that isn't a true indicator of the rest of the state.

The In-Laws in Cheshire County tell me they've noticed the same thing, with Obama signs showing up only around Keene State. Others friends and acquaintances in Merrimack, Hillsborough, and Rockingham County have also noticed the dearth of Obama signs. Heck, I've seen more Carol Shea-Porter signs than I have Obama signs.

Have you noticed the same thing?

Dstarr said...

Well, I haven't seen diddly in the way of Obama signs, anywhere from Manchester all the way up to Littleton. But then I haven't seen all that many Romney-Ryan signs either. Not compared to the number of signs for Jerry Thibedeau, Ovid Lamontagne, and Charlie Bass. On the other hand, the sign printers are just now, this week, getting Romney-Ryan signs into production, so I expect those to increase shortly. There aren't many signs up for democrats for governor, US rep, or other state offices. To temper that, remember this is Grafton County which is still pretty Republican.
As far as the Economist, they are a bunch of Brits, writing from London, what do they know about New Hampshire?

Dstarr said...

A few Obama signs sprouted on Friday down the Welles Road. Of course I happen to know the homeowners in each case. Nice people, but ardent democrats, been that way since forever.