Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vacation is over.

Visited daughter in DC.  Memorial day we went up to visit boyfriend's parents in Pennsylvania farm country.  Not much farm left in that boy.  He didn't remember the way, we had a scenic drive back and forth over the Mason-Dixon Line looking for the place.  Daughter and boyfriend consulting smart phones to learn where we were and where we ought to be going.  Smart phones not so smart out in farm country. 
   We got there.  The place is impressive, old, so old as to be built of solid chestnut logs, about a foot thick.  Goes back to the 1840's, which is old. It had been renovated, logs all chinked with nice white plaster.  Huge lawn, duckpond, ducks, carp swimming in the pond. 
   Drove home Tuesday.  After the chinese firedrill we had finding the place, I took the precaution of consulting old tech, an ancient paper road map, that had been in the glove compartments of the last two cars I owned.  Worked perfectly.  Got me onto I83 north at York PA no sweat.  Maybe that is why I still don't have a smart phone.  It was raining pretty hard and the low fog and heavy wheel spray made visibility bad.  I finally drove out from under it, but that took hours.
  Pulled off for gas in Jersey.  In Jersey they don't have self service gas pumps.   A conspiracy between unions and fire chiefs passed a law forbidding self service.  Dangerous, customer might set fire to the gas station or something.  So a scruffy looking older guy at the pump asks me "Gasoline?"  What did he think I wanted?  Diesel?  In a big Ford Panther?   At least gas is only $3.50 in Jersey.  New York and Connecticut charge $4.  Good reason not to live in NY or CN. 
  New York State is still in the running for worst roadsigns in the nation award.  They hid the sign for Merritt Turnpike off the Cross Bronx Expressway (I287)  That sent me circling around thru  suburban yuppie land.  Some random casting back and forth picked up the trace of the road and got me moving again.
   Got back and found the grass was still under control.  I moved it day before I left, fearing that given enough time it would be too tall to mow.  That rain storm I drove out from under yesterday caught up with me and it's raining too hard to mow this morning. We had a heavy snow fall while I was away, and I came back to some very confused trees.  One was broken off, another was all bent up like a pretzel. 

No comments: