Friday, July 4, 2014

Two days, four lamp fixtures installed

Good thing I don't do this for a living.  I'd loose my shirt.  But the job is done, the living room is put back together. The lights all light.  Every time you throw the switch. 
    Why did it go so slow?  Well weather didn't help.  It was 90 both days.  I worked up enough sweat that I could smell myself.  And I'm getting old.  I took a couple of breaks each day.  Then that wall-to-wall carnivorous carpet didn't help. It ate up everything.   Every dropped tool disappeared and required a lengthy search. A #2 Phillips screwdriver rolled all the way under a book case.  I had to move the whole loaded 1000 lb bookcase to retrieve it.  Dropped screws disappeared  never to return. Good thing I had spares.
   The new fluorescent lamps look nice.  The burn a lot more white than the traditional "cool-white" tubes which actually were quite blue, lacked much red, and made red and brown things look awful.  And they strike immediately when you flip the switch.  They don't even have heaters at the ends.    
   I had the lights lighting by 3 PM, but I didn't have the curtains rehung, the defuser re installed, the crud vacuumed up, the cobwebs vacuumed out of corners, the furniture replaced and the floor lamps plugged back in until 5 PM. 
  At which point I mixed a tall gin and tonic and settled down to watch Fox News. 

No comments: