Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Opioid Crisis Some more bad stuff

Article in a local paper said that opioid prescriptions were down, from about 90% of patients in 2014 to maybe 70% in 2016.   The article didn't bother to explain the percent numbers (typical of newsies who are totally innumerate).  I'm guessing that it is the number of opioid prescriptions written over the total number of patients.  Any one please feel free to correct me on this. 
   If this is progress we are doomed. 
   I take my self to the doctor today.  I used to bring all three children to the doctor along with my wife.  For 50 years, 200-300 doctor appointments at least.  Never did I or any of my family receive a prescription for opioids.    That's an opioid prescription rate of 0 for me and my family. 
   To hear that an opioid prescription rate of 70% is an improvement is ridiculous. 
   I can believe that there are some people with real pain problems for whom opioids are indicated.  I cannot believe that 70%  of people have real pain problems. 
   I am aware that most of the overdose deaths are caused by heroin and fentanyl , both of which are illegal.  I'd like to know how many of these overdose cases got started with prescription opioids.  I have never seen any numbers on this.  But if 70% of patients are started on opioids,  you gotta believe that a lot of 'em move over to cheaper (but more dangerous) street drugs.

No comments: