Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Food Supply Chain is breaking down

Today I ran some errands.  First off, a dump run.  Stuff has been piling up for two weeks and I can smell the kitchen trash can.  It's time.  Two weeks ago the Franconia dump was on emergency Corona virus mode and they were only taking the big Pay-as-you-throw bags.  Which left me with a trunk still full of bottles and cans.  Today we have a new plan, we gave up on recycling.  I just pitched my pay-as-you-throw bag and all the bottles, cans, old magazines, and mixed paper into the industrial strength trash masher we have down at the dump.  And so my trunk is empty for the first time in two weeks. 
   Then a quick stop at Walmarts for a 40 can carton of canned catfood.  Place was not too busy.  The Dunkin donuts concession is not operating.  No glazed donuts for breakfast.  Maybe a quarter of the customer were wearing  face masks.  A guy asked me how I got my "1" license plate.  Turns out he is a constituent.  I gave him my card, told him I was standing for re-election.
  Then I did Shaws.  Again not too busy and a quarter of the customers wearing face masks.  They are running out of a lotta stuff.  I was seeing a lot of strange brands of stuff that I never saw before.  I'm thinking they sold out of the good old brands we all recognize and buy, and to fill the shelves they put out the strange branded stuff.  I'm thinking we all need to go back to work before we run out of food. 

No comments: