Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Bissel Sucks good

 Years ago, maybe 15, the last of my old Hoovers, handed down from my mother, bit the dust.  I had been vacuuming down in the cellar and the old Hoover sucked up something big and hard.  There was tinkle and a clatter of all the metal impeller blades breaking off and falling on the floor.  So some time later I set off for Wally mart with youngest son.  I came home with a new all plastic Hoover that worked well for 15 years. 

   Youngest son last month decided to do something to spiff up Dad’s housekeeping.  He brought me a very fancy Bissel vacuum, lots of plastic, much of it transparent so you can see how well it works.  Bissel has an all clear plastic dirt chamber; I can see how much stuff it sucked up.  There is a lot of it, either fluff from the rugs or shed from the cat.  I wish I knew which, short of feeling the stuff (yuck) when I empty the Bissel.  This is a step backward.  Way back when all vacuums sucked into a cloth bag that had to taken out of doors to empty.  Mother always delegated that chore to me or one of my brothers.  Years later the vacuum industry went with paper dirt bags that you just threw in the trash.  The Bissel is back to the shake the dirt container out of doors like it was years ago.  I cheat a little bit, I put the plastic dirt contain inside a plastic grocery bag, shake it out, retrieve plastic container, and throw the grocery bag into the trash.

No comments: