Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Manhatten

The Wall St Journal Weekend edition had one of those lifestyle articles on nifty things to drink. This time it was the Manhatten. Sounded tasty, and easy to mix, and I decided to bring some class to my 5 o'clock happy hour routine. So I picked up a bottle of sweet red vermouth, and a bottle of Angostura bitters. When I started to mix the first one, I found I was out of Maraschino cherries. Damn, back to plain whiskey & soda. And back to Mac's Market next day for cherries.
With all ingredients on hand, it mixes easily. Two shots bourbon, a shot of sweet red vermouth, 6 dashes of bitters, and a cherry. Pour all the stuff into a short glass and add all the ice that will fit. It's very smooth. Resist the temptation to mix a second one, you will never make it to dinner after two of these babies.
Remember that American cocktails were invented during Prohibition to cover up the truly awful tasting booze served in those days. The Manhatten is effective at that. Slides down the throat with nary a tickle.

No comments: