Thursday, October 23, 2008

Alternative Energy subsidies

Interesting NYT article here. Apparently nuclear energy enjoys a $1.59 per Megawatt hour subsidy where as wind and solar get $20 per Megawatt hour. Let's see, I pay $160 per Megawatt hour up here. So the 1% subsidy doesn't make much difference. The $20 for wind and solar seems a bit much, especially as neither wind nor solar goes into my car or my furnace, my big energy costs.
What does hurt is the green anti nuclear stand. I'm still paying off the damage they did to the Seabrook nuclear plant back in the 1970's. "Stranded cost recovery" right on my electric bill every month, thanks to the Clamshell Alliance. Plus a whopping big share of the cost of a nuclear plant is the humungous pile of paperwork the greens have saddled the industry with.

No comments: