Monday, January 3, 2011

Bills in the NH legislative hopper.

There is a good one in there. HB1485 will allow construction of new houses withOUT fire suppression sprinkler systems.
Some back ground. Firemen and fire departments nation wide have been pushing for years to make home sprinkler systems mandatory in new construction. They have managed to get the national fire and building code to require home sprinklers. They are now pushing to make the newly stiffened national code binding upon New Hampshire.
Home sprinklers are expensive, $5000 to $7000 when installed during construction. If the firemen get their way, all new homes in New Hampshire will cost $5000 to $7000 more. For all that money, the home buyer gets those tasteful chrome sprinkler heads sticking out of his new living room ceiling. Good homey atmosphere, just like at the office.
The fire insurance companies are neutral on the issue. They figure extra claims from accidental sprinkler activations will cost them as much as the sprinklers save them by putting out fires.
Me, I've lived all my life in wood houses without sprinklers. I've never experienced a house fire. I have experienced an accidental sprinkler activation at work. Damn things came on in the middle of the day and filled the company computer room with water. That was costly.
We ought to pass HB1485. We shouldn't raise the cost of all new homes to mitigate a not very likely danger. Compared to the number of fatalities in auto accidents, few people perish in house fires.
It used to be a free country. Which means freedom to install, or not install a home sprinkler system.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just use a Public Adjuster if you have a Fire or any claim for that matter. It would be worth anyones time, when you have a house or Biz claim you should always have a PA. Its like going to court without a lawyer. Just contact marc@usadjusters.com

DCE said...

This is an off-topic comment, so please excuse the intrusion.

David, is your e-mail with RoadRunner? I ask because a 'dstarr' has registered to comment on my blog and I want to confirm it's you.

Dstarr said...

Marc,
Could you elaborate? What is a Public Adjuster? How much do they cost and how do they get paid?

DCE,
Yep, I'm that Dstarr. You made a favorable mention to my humble blog, and so I started reading yours.

Dstarr said...

Marc,
Could you elaborate? What is a Public Adjuster? How much do they cost and how do they get paid?

DCE,
Yep, I'm that Dstarr. You made a favorable mention to my humble blog, and so I started reading yours.