Sunday, March 2, 2014

Kiss your Windows XP goodby

That's what Microsoft is saying.  Support for XP goes away next month, April 14.  This probably isn't the end of the world.  In the 14 years XP has been in service you would think that they had patched most, perhaps even all, of the serious security holes.  Certainly I haven't been receiving many patches in the last few months. 
  Microsoft officially recommends upgrade to the latest version, Windows 8.  They do admit that Windows 8 is a bigger ramhog and runs slower and to compensate for fatter slower Windows 8, Microsoft suggests you buy a new computer, with incredible amounts of RAM and a 1 gigahertz processor.   As far as I know, Windows 8 doesn't offer anything that XP doesn't have, except touch screen support, which is cool if you have a touch screen, but few XP machines do.  
   I plan to keep running my trusty 9 year old Compaq tower machine.  With XP it's faster than my children's laptops running Win 7 and 8.  It  surfs the web, runs all my CAD programs, supports Microsoft C and Quickbasic.  The children sneer at it, 'cause it won't run their games fast enough, but I'm not a gamer so I don't care. 
   XP is fairly reliable.  It's been a long time since I had a blue screen of death.  I still have programs lock up, but XP is still alive and can shut the offending program down. 

No comments: