This horrible event has completely dominated the TV news since Sunday. They don't talk about anything else. Here are some things that are true but the TV newsies don't talk about it much.
1. Two senior American Muslim clerics denounced the killings, in strong terms. That's the first time I have ever heard of that. It is a good thing.
2. The dead all bear Hispanic names, yet the newsies talk about the killer bearing a grudge against gays. From the evidence, the killer might as well have born a grudge against Hispanics.
3. There are no objective differences between "assault rifles" and deer rifles. Objective differences are things you can measure with a ruler. The anti gun people are calling for an "assault rife" ban hoping that all rifles will be declared to be "assault rifles" and thus banned.
4. The FBI interviewed the shooter TWICE and decided that they didn't have enough evidence to charge him with a crime. What should have happened, and did not. The FBI agents should have evaluated the shooter as a violent nutcase, a homicidal maniac. They should have been able to initiate proceedings to confine the shooter to a mental hospital, before he flipped completely out and killed 50 people.
5. The United States has 5000 miles of land border, much of it running thru roadless wildness. Anyone with a pair of decent hiking boots can just walk across the border. Plus we have 4000 miles of seacoast, studded with marinas, boat launches, yacht clubs and docks. Any small boat coming in from the sea is just another yachting or fishing party coming back to port at the end of the day. You can't keep 'em out, you have to find 'em and catch 'em after they get here.