Friday, March 16, 2018

The many names of a house cat

Cat came to me from my daughter.  It had been her college cat.  She graduated, and signed up for a hitch with the Peace Corps.  She said something like "Aw Dad, you will take care of the cat.  Won't you?"  And since I am very fond of daughter, and it was a decent cat, the deal was done.  The cat bore the name of Hecate, which seemed like a pretty pretentious name for just a house cat.  After a couple of highly amusing goofs on the cat's part, I began to call her Stupid Beast.  For a while I could stand out on the deck and call "Stupid Beast" and the cat would actually come home. 
   In warm weather, cat would sprawl out flat on the floor, spread out to lose as much heat as possible.  I began to call her "Flat Beast"   This lead to "Fat Beast" and "RAF", short for Round and Flat.  Along with Her Flatness, and Fatress.  And often I just call her Cat, as in "Hello Cat" when she greets my return from a store run. 

No comments: