Friday, May 18, 2018

Driving back from DC.

It took me 11 and 1/2 hours this time, from DC motel to Mac's Market in Franconia.  It was pouring down rain in DC when I left at 7 AM.  It was heavy enough to create that road fog, a mix of falling rain, real fog, and spray thrown up by tires, that hangs over the roadway obscuring vision.  It was so thick I could not see an unlighted vehicle at all, and even the lighted ones were hard to see until I was right on their rear bumper.  The rain lightened up by the time I got to Delaware, and was pretty much dry at New York.  The sun was out by the time I reached Vermont.
   Pretty much every thing moving up and down the East Coast has to get thru, or get to, New York.  I tried the George Washington bridge this time, right around 12 noon.  A mistake, traffic is terrible, long periods of just plain stuck in traffic.   I think Tappan Zee bridge is a better deal.  They have the new Tappan Zee span open to traffic, and they are taking the old span down.
   The other touchy spot is Philadelphia, the last break in I95.  Coming up from the south on I95 in Delaware, you want to take the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  Don't follow the I95 signs to Philadelphia, you will get dumped off on city streets in North Philadelphia, or pushed onto I295 going the wrong way.  Looks like they never will finish I95 thru Philadelphia.   Stick with the Jersey Turnpike. 
   

No comments: