Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Words of the Weasel Part 56.



How to Weaponize an Existential Threat.  The title of a piece in the Wall St Journal Op-Ed page.  The author, Joseph Epstein is out to trash a lot of vague words, popular with newsies and pols, which have been creeping into English.  He mentions focus, issue (bland word for bug or problem), charisma, prioritize, weaponize, incentivize.  Word for Window spell check chokes up on weaponize and incentivize
   The author finishes off with “existential threat”.    A threat is a threat, when you are on the receiving end of a threat you have to either knuckle under, or get ready to fight.  The existential part is a fancy way of making the threat sound more dangerous.  Me, I will stick with “deadly threat”.   
   Mr. Epstein doesn’t mention “holistic”, a general purpose sounds good but means nothing word.  When I hear or read “holistic” I know I am wasting my time with this person or article.

No comments: