Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Why does NH education cost $16-$18 K per kid per year?

Assume we put 25 kids in each classroom, and assume we pay the teacher $50K per year.  That's $2K per kid to pay the teacher.  Double that to pay janitors and principals and what ever.  Double it again to pay for building maintenance, heat, light, etc.  We are still only up to $8K per kid.  Yet all the NH town officials I talk to say they need double that to put a kid thru public school.  I never hear just where all that money goes.   I hear the charter schools actually do get by on $8K per kid and everyone agrees the charter schools do a fine job.  They have waiting lists of kids who want in to them. 
   I am all in favor of educating our children.  I am not in favor of paying useless mouths.  Used to be, back when I was going to school,  teachers and janitors were the only people on the payroll.  Headmaster at my old high school taught public speaking to seniors every week all year long.  Miss Blinstrube ran St Mary's parochial school in Melrose with nobody on the payroll except teachers.  How many administrators do we have on NH school payrolls today?  What do the "SAU"s do for a living, other than drawing their pay?  How many bureaucrats do we pay in the Department of Education down in Concord?  

No comments: