Saturday, July 13, 2019

Anyone know how to clean up Win 10 Explorer???

Used to be, back with Win XP, explorer would display one and only one icon for each file and folder on the drive.  Which is the way it ought to be. 
Win 10, thru a bug or a ding-a-ling design choice, shows multiple icons for the same file.  Some of this is "libraries", an unexplained concept, for which I never found a use (or an explanation).  I turned off the " library" icons in explorer.  Click on View, click on "Navigation Pane".  Click on the arrow of Navigation pane to expand the sub menu, and uncheck libraries.  That cleans up a decent amount of clutter. 
   Some of the clutter is a bunch of busted shortcuts invented by Win 10.  When clicked upon they yield error messages rather than taking you any where useful. I delete them when I find them.
   There are still too darn many cases of multiple icons which point to the same file.  I don't dare delete the icon, fearing that it might delete the file instead.  Dunno what to do about trimming back  that clutter. 
   I would welcome any advice. 

No comments: