Monday, July 1, 2019

New TV

Did some net searching for RCA jacks on Samsung TV's.  The word from the net is that new TV's don't have audio output RCA jacks at all.  Someone said the music industry objected to them claiming that they were being used to pirate music.  Someone said for TV's with optical digital sound output, (my Samsung has such a port) you can buy a converter box for $26, and an optical cable ($?) and convert the optical digital signal back to plain old baseband analog audio signal  that my stereo can handle.  I do want the stereo sound.  The TV speakers rattle and break up when I push the TV sound all the way up, and the TV isn't really loud enough, and I miss the sound playing in my workshop off a pair of fairly decent bookcase speakers mounted in the shop driven by the stereo amp.  
   VCR now works.  Dunno why it didn't work last night.  Loaded a tape, plugged it in and got pix and sound.  Stereo separation is weak, but then my test tape is Disney's Fantasia which was made long before stereo was invented.
   Now all I have to do is figure out what the password for my router is and I can take video right off the internet.  My Netgear router has a button on it, that when pressed  connects up to my computers, no hassle.  I'll see if that works on TV's. 
   One last trick.  When I hit "source" on the TV remote I get a choice of HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and AV.  I would like to relabel the choices as Cable Box, DVD, and VCR.  There oughta be a way but I haven't found it yet.  Manual is mostly worthless and Samsung's website just offers a downloadable copy of the same manual. 

2 comments:

Dstarr said...

I found it. Hit " source" on the TV remote. Each possible source has a tiny up arrow above it. Click on the up arrow, click on edit, and you get to a menu that allows you to change the device name and the device icon. Took me a good 15 minutes of trying every button on the remote before I noticed those little up arrows.

Dstarr said...

More adventures in TV land. I ordered a Digital to Analog converter box thru Amazon. It came in the mail, only $10 for a box made in China, imported by ESync, Model number DAC022ESY. Little square black box. It needs +5 VDC power. Comes with a USB cord, but no power pack. I powered it up with the power pack that came with my celery phone and it works good. Sound is much better from my big 10 inch stereo speakers than from the entsy tentsy TV speakers. I had to get into Settings on the TV and set the digital audio output to "PCM" to get sound. It came from the factory set to "Dolby". All the plugs on my power strip behind the stereo are full, so I have to pick up another cube tap and a USB power supply next time I go to town.