Sunday, May 23, 2021

Pluckery: My lawn against dandelions

 My majory objection to dandelions is they kill a lot of grass.  The dandelion throws out a tight circle of leaves, maybe 5 inches in diameter, thru which no blade of grass can live.  Dandelions are annuals, so when they die in the fall they leave ugly brown holes in the lawn.

   I used to deal with dandelions by just plucking them.  No herbicides, no agent orange, just bend over and pluck.  Kept my lawn green this way for years.

   Now the bee keepers and insect lovers are running TV ads claiming that dandelion blooms are the only source of food for honey bees early in the season.  They are making me feel guilty about plucking them.  So now I wait until the flower closes up and converts to the puffball seed spreading version.  Bees get their pollen and I get my green lawn. 

No comments: