Tuesday, August 2, 2022

SOS. Save our Sink.

The kitchen sink faucet has been leaking, a steady drip drip drip, for some time now.  It got to the point where I could hear the drip drip all over the house.  I would go to bed and hear the drip drip until I fell asleep.

  So yesterday I decided to do something about it.  I shut off the water and took the faucet apart.  I took the old seals and the strange metal ball that made a single lever work both hot and cold along with me.  Went to Lowes in Littleton.  Pleasant surprise, Lowes had replacement washers and replacement for the metal ball.  That faucet was installed way back in 1962, so I had worried about finding parts for it.  But Lowes had them.  Groovy.

   I got home, put the liquor away, and started in to put the faucet back together.  Arrgh.  I just could NOT get the damn thing to go back together.  I even made a second run to Lowes to buy a third little set of spare parts, thinking maybe I needed it.  No luck. 

   So I called up my brother John, who has been a contractor up here for 40 years or so, thinking he might have an idea.  Well he could not think of anything to try over the phone, but he said he could drop by and take a look.  Son of a Gun, John got the faucet to go back together.  It doesn’t leak, the hot and the cold work.  Fantastic.  Without Brother John, I would have next tried to replace the entire faucet assembly, probably $90 from Lowes. 

  So the water runs, I can wash dishes, life is good.  Thank you John.

No comments: