Thursday, June 28, 2012

Winter's Bone

After seeing  Hunger Games, I  netflixed this one 'cause it had Jennifer Lawrence starring in it.  I watched the first half hour or so and then I couldn't take anymore.  The poverty and misery in which Ree is living is just too deep for me to suffer thru it.  I couldn't watch another hour or so of this kind of misery.  I turned it off and went to bed.
   I'm sure Jennifer did a fine job of acting but I watch movies for entertainment and relaxation, not to have all the misery of the world played out in my living room.  That is neither entertaining nor relaxing.
 

2 comments:

DCE said...

I've never cared for so-called "message movies" ever since they came into vogue starting big time in the 70's. (Yes, I know there were such movies before then, but they seemed to explode on the scene in the 70's.)

Like you, I prefer to be entertained by movies, not preached to.

If you've noticed, most "message movies" fail miserably at the box office these days. You'd think Hollywood would listen, wouldn't you?

Dstarr said...

Was sharing a few brews with my brother yesterday and the talk drifted around to Winter's Bone. He'd watched it to the end. He told me I hadn't missed anything, the movie just got worse and worse the longer you watched it.
There is a lot of happiness in the world, there is also a lot of misery. I don't watch a movie to wallow in the misery.