Saturday, May 25, 2019

NH needs to require public speaking senior year of high school

Down in Concord VERY few people can speak properly.  They mumble, they don't speak loud enough to be heard even from the front row of seats.  They slur their words, they talk too fast.  I sat thru a capital budget hearing.  I took a front row seat.  Of all the witnesses testifying, I could not tell what project they were advocating, where it was to be, how big it was gonna be.  All the witnesses were such poor public speakers that I missed most of their words.
   My high school required public speaking, a once a week course, of all seniors.  It was taught by the headmaster, old Daniel D. Test.   Held in the school theater, we spoke from the stage, Dan Test would sit in the last row.  And call out "I can't hear you" if you were not speaking loudly enough.  That course has stuck with me, and done me good over the years.  We ought to require it of all New Hampshire high schools. 

No comments: