Sunday, May 12, 2019

What to do about Facebook?

They have been selling user's data.  They don't keep anything confidential.  They have been kicking conservative posters off.  They are almost the only game in town.  So what to do?
1.  Do nothing.  If Facebook kicks you off, start a blog. 
2.  Use anti trust laws to break Facebook into two (or more) viable pieces.  This ought to create competition.  Conservatives black balled off of one piece can re apply to the other piece.  The two pieces ought to compete for advertising by lowering their rates. 
3.  Regulate.  Set up a commission of "impartial" members to lay down the law to Zuckerburg.  Will stir things up for a while.  Then Facebook will capture the regulators by taking them out to lunch, and other juicy things, and offering them cushy jobs with Facebook if they treat Facebook right.  Plus, real control of what Facebook actually does will remain in Zuckerborg's hands.  The regulators won't be able to tell if Facebook is doing what they are told to do or not. 
4.  Encourage a competitor to compete.  Probably not viable.  Facebook has occupied the market space and getting started against them probably is not possible. 
5. Something else? 

I started up a Facebook page to support my Senate campaign.  It got a lot of hits.  Like 150 for each time I posted.  I believe it did me a lot of good in the election.  I won after all.  I am still on Facebook.  They have not booted me, or even bitched to me. Yet.

Islamic terrorists have posted a lot of really disgusting and hateful stuff on Facebook.  I'm glad to hear Facebook is doing something about that.  At least that's what I hear, mostly from Facebook. I can believe as much of that as I please.  They claim that Russian trolls have used Facebook posts to influence the 2016 election.  Not sure if I believe that.  Putin, old KGB man, has good intel on America, and must have known that Hillary was his best bet.  Hillary isn't very smart, isn't very brave, and would never give Putin any trouble over Russian aggression anywhere.  Trump was (still is) a wild card.  Nobody knows what he will do next.  Putin knew all this well before the US election.  It is inconceivable to me that Putin wanted Trump to win. 

No comments: