Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Effective new car advertisement


I was web surfing and I bumped into a Cadillac ad on The Hill.  Curious to see what the new Caddies look like, I clicked on it.  They have about 5 or 6 models.  Hard to tell them apart.  Models don’t have names anymore, just numbers, all starting with XT.  They have an XT4 and an AT5 and some other ones.  The only model that still has its name is Escalade, the big SUV.  Escalade was the only model that gave a price, horsepower, and some other info.  The other XT models just had photos, except for XT4 and XT6 which lacked photos entirely.  Stylists worked at giving all the XT models a family resemblance, they all have the same grille, and the same fore and aft creases in the sheet metal, the same nose down fanny up in the air look.  None of them have much of a trunk anymore.  Most of them are higher than traditional Caddies.
   Who ever put this ad together just googled for luxury cars and put the search results in the ad.  So right below the Caddy listing we have listings for all the competition, Lincoln, Mercedes, BMW and so on.  That’s not how I would do a Caddy ad.  
  I am an old Caddy owner.  Had a 99 Deville sedan once.  It was a nice car, lots of power, plenty of room, 27 mpg.  I ran it up to 140 K miles.  At that point the NH road salt finally managed to rust the entire rear axle off the car, and nobody wanted to fix that, so I traded it.  None of the new 2020 Caddies looked very attractive to my eye. 

No comments: