Thursday, January 2, 2020

Let's keep private health insurance

Something like 3/4 of Americans have pretty decent health insurance thru their company or their union.  I enjoyed it for 40 years.  It covered everything, and it covered my wife and my three children.  I'd still be on it if I had not retired and gone onto Medicare.  
   I am listening to most (all?) of the Democrats calling to kill private health insurance and force us all onto "medicare for all" or "single payer" schemes that do not exist yet.  So we have no idea what we are getting into, but anyone who has ever had to deal with departments of motor vehicles to register a car has the deepest suspicions.  Most of us want to keep our private health insurance.
  I will grant that the self employed who have to go out and buy individual family policies are getting screwed.  We could fix that.  All it would take is a law requiring the insurance companies to sell the same policy they sell to big companies, at the big company price, to ordinary citizens.  Probably a federal law.  Having the 50 states each enact such a law, good only in state, would be extra messy.  And welfare for lawyers.
   Somehow I don't think the Democrat approach to health insurance this year is going to get them elected.

No comments: