Wednesday, March 7, 2018

NPR blathering

Yesterday I had NPR on my car  radio.  They started out discussing a report that Lyndon Johnson had authorized after riots in Detroit and Newark in the later 1960's.   The report picked up the name "Kerner Commission Report" after the name of the commission chairman.  The report blamed the riots in Detroit and Newark on "white racism".  That was fifty years ago. 
   NPR ran on talking about the Kerner Report for a good hour.  All the speakers said that white racism was terrible.  Nobody gave specific examples of said white racism, naming names and dates.  Nobody suggested ways to improve the situation, new laws, regulations, prayers, education policies, anything.  For an hour of airtime all we learned was the NPR and their on-air guests were against white racism.  Groovy, I'm against it myself.  But to serve as useful public discourse, rather than just feel-good BS, you have to suggest courses of action, not just a dislike. 

I'm so glad my tax money goes to support this kind of broadcasting. 

No comments: