Saturday, June 25, 2022

People who smell alike make friends more easily.

I saw this reasonable sounding idea somewhere on the Internet.  Sounded good, but their laboratory technique was flaky.  I cannot smell myself until I have gone without bathing for several days.  Back when I was gainfully employed I would take a shower every morning, just to avoid offending co workers with unmentionable body odor.  This suggests that people mostly smell of soap and water at work. 

   Then the authors used an “electric nose” to see whose scents matched up.  They never explained how this device worked, or how they calibrated it, and what they did to make sure it gave the same readings on the same people every day. 

  So it’s an interesting idea but the authors didn’t convince me that they had proved their idea worked.  

No comments: