Thursday, October 11, 2007

Immigration Policy from Mitt Romney

Mailman just delivered a handsomely printed bit of Romney campaign literature. It actually has some real platform planks in it, unlike much of the motherhood and apple pie stuff floating around. This piece has real concrete ideas. Some of 'em I like, some of 'em I don't like so much. But give Romney credit for getting serious. In order, they are
1. Build a fence on the Mexican border. OK I guess, even though it will make the border look like the Berlin Wall.
2. ID cards for immigrants and a computer data base to check the cards against. This means that everyone, not just immigrants, has to have a card in order to get a job. I had to show my passport to get my last job. Lots of folk don't have passports or other paperwork, I guess that makes 'em unemployed. Plus, the computer data base check every time a guy takes a job amounts to an instant criminal background check. Kinda like the cops doing a stop and frisk on you.
3. No Amnesty. OK I guess, but does this really work? We have maybe 13 million illegals in the country now. Do we deport them all? What about their US born children? Deport them too? Deportation is hard on the deportee. Speaking for just myself, I'd feel rotten about packing unhappy illegals into buses heading back to Mexico. Kinda like packing Jews into cattle cars for the trip to Auschwitz.
4. Punish Sanctuary cities. Yeah, take that San Francisco and all you blue voting towns.
5. Improve Interior Law Enforcement. Right on. Next time they pull you over for a traffic ticket you gotta show proof of citizen ship as well as license and registration. I can't wait.
6. Encourage Legal Immigration. Good one. Right now the legal immigration channel is backed up for 10 or 20 years. Who can wait that long? Remember that immigrants and children of immigrants are more loyal to the United States of America than many native born. Loyal hardworking folks make this country great.

No comments: