Thursday, February 7, 2008

Windows 7?

According to Lee Gomez at the Wall St Journal, the Microsofties are planning the next step after Vista, currently called Windows 7 internally. Wow, Vista sputtering, everyone likes XP, and they are working on yet another Windows.
They must be thinking up yet more features to burden Windows with. For me, I don't want more features. Windows XP has about 20 zillion "features" that I know nothing about, don't trust, and wish would go away. Can I think of a feature that I want in Windows, that isn't already there? No.
Windows is one of those facts of life that you have to live with. All the computers come with it, all the programs you care about run under it. If you are doing a software project, it has got to run under Windows. Programs that don't, are dead on arrival.
Windows XP does all the things an OS ought to do (and a few that it ought not to do). Vista is XP with copy protection. Vista has all kindza code to prevent duplication of music CD's. MP3s, DVDs and what ever. Why should I want Vista, which is slower than XP and gives me a hard time about copying anything? Even my own stuff?
This is the time for someone to introduce the mini OS. Smaller, faster, leaner and meaner than Windows. Runs Office and Firefox. Virus proof. Prevents web sites from running code on your computer. Limits email programs to viewing email, prevents email from loading malware into Office.

No comments: