Monday, May 4, 2009

A tale of two computers.

One computer shows a clever parchment texture behind website text and gets me into websites withOUT demanding I type in a password. Those are good things. It chokes up on YouTube video, and it doesn't change the color of web links when I visit them. Those are bad things.
The other computer shows plain white behind the website text, and demands I type my password to get to my Facebook page or log me into other websites. Those are minor annoyances. But it plays YouTube and turns weblinks into a reminder color after I visit them. Those are good things.
Both machines run XP service pack 3, patched right up to yesterday. Both browse with Firefox 3.10. Both show no malware using AdAware, Spybot, AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Malicious Software Removal Tool. Both have better than half the disk free, Both have 750 Megs of RAM and the same set of speed up tweaks. Both internet using the same router & cable modem.
Beats me. I'm sure the reason is buried somewhere inside Windows, but where? I don't feel like re installing Windows just to satisfy my curiosity.

No comments: