Wednesday, January 31, 2018

State of the Union

I stayed up and watched it.  Trump mentioned the successes he has had so far,  spoke to and of some impressive people in the visitors gallery, a policeman, a soldier, grieving parents, a 12 year old boy, a Korean freedom fighter,  good people all.  He  announced his DACA policy, infrastructure policy, military funding policy, all good stuff, but nothing I hadn't heard before.   Trump was doing a national pep rally, and doing it well.  He even had me clapping in front of my flat screen TV, and I'm a cynical senior citizen.   The democrats were not into pep rally, they didn't clap or stand and clap hardly at all.   Cold water is what the democrats were into.  Fortunately there were enough Republicans at the show to give Trump a lot of standing ovations and keep the pep rally spirit up. 
    So all full of good patriotic spirit I stayed up and watched young Joe Kennedy give the Democrats reply to Trump's State of the Union.  Boy what a downer that was.  I remember young Joe's grand father RFK, and his grand uncle JFK, and neither of them ever talked like that.   Young Joe just gave a long lament about how terrible everything is, business is making money, taxes are being cut, all sorts of guvmint freebies are going away, one wail after another.  A real glass half empty talk. 

No comments: