Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Dumbo. Disney. 1940.

Rumor got around saying that Disney was going to vanish Dumbo, probably over those scenes with a flock of black crows, speaking in black accents.  I kinda liked Dumbo, having seen it in my childhood.  Timothy the mouse was an attractive character and so was Dumbo.  So I rented it from Netflix before Disney made it disappear.  Actually, looking at it today in 2021, 60 years after it was made, it was still pretty good.  Animation was excellent.  The stork expressman delivering Dumbo to his mom was excellent.  He was so good that he appeared in a couple of other Disney movies.  Actually the most anti black scenes were some short shots of black roustabouts hammering big top tent pegs into the ground in a rain storm.  Although I am pretty sure that circus roustabouts when Dumbo was made were all black.  The scenes with the black crows speaking in black accents seemed pleasant enough to me.  The crows were friendly, they encouraged Dumbo, including giving him the famous magic feather.  

   Anyhow I think the talk of Dumbo as a racist film is malarkey, it is a good fun film that has been around for a long time. 

No comments: