Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Can I make a yes or no answer?

 I got one of those “surveys” that end up by asking you for a donation to their cause.  I got one from “Patriotic Voters” (new name to me) with former US senator Rick Santorum on the letterhead.  The survey had some questions that could be answered with “yes” or “no”, like “Should important medicines come from Communist China”.  Then there were others that I could not answer yes or no. 

   For example, “Do you agree with granting citizenship to 11 million illegal aliens?”   For me, that depends.  An illegal alien who has a job, pays taxes, is married, is raising children, speaks reasonable English (at least  I can understand most of what he says), has stayed out of serious trouble with the law, sounds like a good sound citizen to me.  We need more citizens like that.  Or he has served a hitch in the US armed forces that makes him a good citizen in my old veteran eyes. 

    On the other hand, an MS -13 gang member, someone with a serious criminal record that sounds like a prime prospect to kick out of the country. 

   For another example “Should abortion on demand be legal in New Hampshire?”  Good question.  I thought abortion was legal in New Hampshire.  I am of mixed minds on this one.  In general I am against abortion, seeing it as very close to infanticide.  Not good.  On the other hand, I have a daughter, a good girl of whom I am extremely fond.  Had she needed an abortion in high school or college, I would have been right out there finding her a place to get an abortion.  This did not become a problem; daughter was an intelligent girl who managed to avoid pregnancy until after marriage.  So down deep, my attitude about abortion boils down to it should be forbidden to every girl except my daughters.  Even I can understand that this is a morally bankrupt point of view.   Some day I need to straighten myself out on this issue.

No comments: