Sunday, July 31, 2016

Touristing to Portsmouth NH

Haven't been to Portsmouth in fifteen years or more.  And then only to Strawberrie Banke, a historical village setting.  I needed to buy a few new clothes,  the khaki's and sports shirts bought at Good Will Industries years ago are wearing out, and Good Will Industries has downgraded itself below my fairly low standards.  Portsmouth has down some good work on reviving the down town into a tourist trap.  Lotta nice side walk eateries. They had plenty of tourists hiking around the down town.  Parking is tight on a Saturday, I finally had to use my credit card to pay off a parking meter at $1.75 an hour.  Google maps showed nearly a dozen men's clothing stores all on a three block run of Congress St.  It must have been a bad year for men's clothing.  Only two of the stores that showed on Google maps were still there.  One was a unisex place (not my style ) and the other was a women's clothing place, (also not my style). 
   Infrastructure was good.  I drove down on secondary roads, and they were all in good shape, fresh black asphalt, easy curves, generous sight lines, broad shoulders.   Makes me think the infrastructure catastrophe is limited to New York State.  Real states like NH are keeping their roads in good shape. 
   And I'm glad I retired in upstate NH where the traffic is light.  Traffic around Manchester was thick.  There was some kinda hangup in Concord that had southbound traffic on 193 backded up to Boscawen by 2 PM.  Which is early for people to start for home after a weekend in upstate NH.  That one made in onto the air on WBZ. 

No comments: