Monday, January 2, 2017

Did Snowden have a "Need to Know"?

You gotta blame NSA for first of all, not checking Snowden's background before issuing him a security clearance.  You would think a simple background check would have turned up evidence of flakiness.  Back when I got a Top Secret clearance, the FBI followed up and interviewed my references.  I do remember going back to my high school reunion and running into old Fred Swan, teacher of physics, swim team coach, and all around decent man.  Fred says to me, "Did you know the FBI has been around asking about you?"   I wonder if they did the same for Snowden.
   Second of all, for granting him access to so much stuff.  We used to have a doctrine of "Need-to-Know".  You didn't get to see classified material unless you had a clearance, AND, a need to know the information. 
   Seems like NSA gave Snowden free run over all their classified.  And I never did hear just what Snowden was supposed to be doing on the job.  Other than passing every thing to the Russians. 

No comments: